photo credit: healthycrush.com
Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning has amazing health benefits. Imagine getting sick less, feeling lighter, having regular eliminations, clearer skin, more energy and having a boost in your metabolism leading to weight loss over time…
Adopting this ritual every morning provides a super stimulant to the liver which is the main detoxing organ in the body. Your liver will release uric acid and create bile to safely eliminate environmental and lifestyle toxins that would otherwise be trapped in your digestive system longer. Keeping our liver and digestive system clean and in good working order will help your body prevent diseases like cancer in the future. Combining cayenne with lemon increases the detoxing effect and raises the temperature of your body therefore increasing your metabolism.
Remember not to squeeze your lemon directly into boiling water for this potion. Doing this will destroy the live enzymes in the lemon. Try using half room temp water and half hot water. Cleanse your body every single day safely and naturally. So simple.
Most people think that they are juicing when they are actually blending. What the difference anyway and which one is better for you? Simple answer is both. Both are two different healthy ways of nourishing and detoxing your body. The main differences between the two are:
Juicing is a process which extracts water and nutrients from produce and discards the indigestible fiber. Without all of the fiber, your digestive system does not have to work as hard to break down the food and absorb the nutrients. In fact, it makes the nutrients more readily available to the body in much larger quantities than if you were to eat the fruits and vegetables whole. This is very helpful if you have a sensitive digestive system or illness that prevents your body from processing fiber optimally. Juices restore the body at a cellular level.
Unlike juices, smoothies consist of the entire entire fruit or vegetable, skin and all and contain all of the fiber from the vegetables. The blending process breaks the fiber apart (which makes the fruit and vegetables easier to digest ) but also helps create a slow, even release of nutrients into the blood stream and avoids blood sugar spikes if your drink choice is heavy on sweet fruit. Smoothies tend to be more filling, because of the fiber, and generally faster to make than juice, so they can be great to drink first thing in the morning as your breakfast, or for snacks throughout the day.
Everyone knows about the dangers of smoking by now; anti-smoking campaigns have made sure of that. However, a lot of us think that the only way to quit smoking is to buy the patch, chew nicotine gum or simply quit cold turkey. There is another way....JUICING! That's right, fruits and vegetables to the rescue AGAIN! Check out the testimony of an 18 year smoker and make up your own mind:
While my husband and I were dating, I told him that I didn't want him to ever ask me to stop smoking. I enjoyed it, and it was a part of what made me who I am. I was 19 years old, and had no idea what the future would hold. All I knew was that our friends were all refusing to date smokers, and I wanted to stop any hounding me to quit before it started. He made that promise, and kept it.
Little did I realize then, but years of smoking was going to make me chronically fatigued. For five years, I went to different doctors who did various tests from thyroid checking to assuming I was depressed. My thyroid was fine, and I wasn't in denial about depression. I was perfectly happy! My doctors never considered smoking to be part of the problem, and neither did I.
The light bulb went off when I was reading an article about the effects of smoking. Normally, I passed by articles like this, but this one was titled Chronic Fatigue and Smoking and it opened my eyes to a new way of looking at my life. In hindsight, I knew everything that article had talked about, but like a lot of people, I didn't think any of the bad things would happen to me. I was so tired by now that I was missing out on important family events, my son drew pictures of me sleeping, and my husband was losing patience.
I started searching for natural remedies to help me quit smoking, but most of them seemed too good to be true. In fact, most of the products didn't even make sense, and there was no scientific evidence to back it up. All I could find was sales pages that made me want to close my computer and give up. Then one day I ran across an article about study carried out by Duke University found that fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and non-carbonated drinks like juice and water make cigarettes taste bad while foods high in fat, coffee, meat, and alcohol make them taste better. This made me start thinking.
Before smoking, the majority of my diet was fruits and vegetables. I didn't like meats, or breads. (Something that changed after I had been smoking for a couple of years). I was determined to use this information in my effort to quit smoking, and finally feel better. Unfortunately, I was working at a place that was fast paced, and allowed me little time for eating. It wasn't unusual for me to go the entire day without food. (Which did nothing to help with my lack of energy!) I knew taking a break to eat was never going to happen, so I needed something fast. That's when I got the idea for juicing.
I did a ton of research on juicing, and found more opinions than I really needed. I was able to put the information I needed into my notes, and then set out to change my life. I got excited to see if juices would work as well as eating the foods the article had mentioned. I made my juices every morning before work, and made enough to last me the entire day. This way, I could easily drink a little here and there without actually taking a break and upsetting my co-workers.
The first day was difficult. My routine with cigarettes was get up in the morning, have some coffee and a cigarette. Have a couple more cigarettes on the 30 minute drive to work, and then another just before the store opened for the day. On my drive, I knew exactly what part of the drive I needed to be in before lighting up. It was ridiculous, but it was a habit formed over two years, and I never thought about it.
Day 2 was easier, but day 3 was the surprise. I woke up and didn't even think about smoking. I made my juice, got ready for work and left the house without ever thinking about smoking. It wasn't until later in the day that I realized I hadn't had a craving, and I started to get excited. They weren't gone completely, though. That evening, I had some minimal cravings, but they weren't anything like I'd experienced before. After the first week, I was craving juices, but not cigarettes. The biggest change? I was less tired. Not just a little less tired, but I could make it through the entire day without the desire to just curl up and sleep. I felt amazing!
Six months later, and I've made more changes to my diet and my life. I stopped working crazy hours, and my diet is now mostly fruit and vegetable based. If I do get tired, it's not like it was before. I'm tired like everyone else who gets tired; it's the normal tired of a busy day, or accidentally staying up too late the night before. My family life has changed, too. I'm less grumpy with the kids, and I definitely have more time to attend their events, and play around with them. It's like an entirely different life than I had before, and though I miss smoking sometimes, I can't imagine going back to it, and back to the chronic fatigue that had me in its grip for so many years.
Points of Interest
Drinking pure aloe vera juice regularly is excellent for the immune system. It expedites digestion, and keeps the intestinal track clean and healthy. Regular consumption of Aloe Vera juice helps to control high cholesterol level as well. Studies have shown that drinking aloe juice also aids in lowering the bad LDL and raising the good HDL in blood.
Aloe vera, also known as the ‘plant of immortality’, has been used for a variety of purposes since ancient times. Aloe vera plants are commonly found in the African regions and belong to succulent plant species. This nontoxic plant stores water in its leaves and survives in low rainfall and dry regions. Aloe vera leaf has a unique look with no stem and has spear like spikes which is protected by serrated edges.
Aloe vera is considered to be a miracle plant and has numerous skin, health and hair benefits. It is being used as a key ingredient in foods and in energy drinks. Aloe vera comes in a variety of forms.
Aloe vera consist as much as 75 nutrients, 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids and 200 active enzymes. Aloe vera contains Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and B12, Vitamin C and E, folic acid and Niacin. Minerals found in aloe vera include copper, iron, sodium, calcium, zinc, potassium, chromium, magnesium and manganese. These nutrients have tremendous potential in external and internal application. This exotic plant contains other beneficial compounds like polysaccharides, mannans, anthraquinones and lectins. And associated with these nutrients are the various uses of aloe vera.
Aloe vera plant is considered as a miracle plant because of its various healing properties. Aloe vera is mainly grown as an ornamental plant but its medicinal and healing properties have made it a favourite choice of plant among many organic followers. This magical plant is used for the treatment of various kinds of diseases and illness. The health benefits of aloe vera include:
1. Aloe vera when taken internally aids in digestion and effectively cleanses the digestive system. Aloe vera works as a laxative which makes it easier for the food particles to pass through the intestine. This incredible plant is great for people who suffer from constipation problems. Drinking aloe vera juice regularly helps to detoxify the body which in turns improves daily bowel movements. It alleviates acidity, inflammation and intestinal ulcers.
2. This wonderful plant is full of antioxidants, also known as natural immunity enhancers, which help to fight free radicals in the body. Free radicals cause several diseases and ailments which speeds up the ageing process. Consuming aloe vera juice regularly boosts immune system.
3. Aloe vera juice contains substances which inhibit and slow down inflammation caused by injuries without causing any side effects. Drinking aloe vera juice regularly eases swollen and painful joints and reduces the stiffness of bones. It is excellent for treating scars, burns and cuts. It also soothes wound/cuts and fights bacteria that occur due to wounds. The cooling effect of the plant helps to regenerate new cells and helps in rebuilding the damaged tissue.
4. Aloe vera tonic is wonderful for the female reproductive system. It helps to rejuvenate the uterus.
5. This versatile plant is also useful for treating respiratory disorders and is particularly useful for those who get frequent attacks of cold, flu, bronchitis herpes, running nose and other respiratory disorders.
6. The dried gel of aloe vera is used to treat diabetes as it helps to lower blood sugar level by decreasing insulin resistance and also lowers the triacyglyceride levels in the liver and plasma.
7. Aloe vera juice also increases energy level and helps to maintain a healthy body weight. Drinking aloe vera juice regularly stimulates the metabolism and helps the body to burn calories more quickly.
8. Aloe vera juice also helps in maintaining healthy gums and mouth. Its natural anti-bacterial and anti-microbial actions promote cell growth and healing. Aloe vera gels are also used in a variety of tooth gels which prevent bleeding gums and mouth ulcers. It also provides quick relief to people who experience burning mouth symptoms. Its antifungal properties help greatly in the problem of denture stomatitis, apthous ulcers, cracked and split corners of the mouth.
Getting an aloe vera plant proves to be helpful in more than one way. It is worth a try as a natural approach to ageless skin. Aloe vera has several properties that are effective in treating a variety of skin conditions like flaky or dry skin, cosmetic ailments, and hair and scalp problems. Due to its many uses and benefits to the skin and hair, aloe vera has now gained more popularity and has become a staple ingredient in many beauty and skin care products. In order to achieve proper skin restoration, aloe vera needs to be applied every day. Applying aloe vera gel soon after taking a shower is advisable as the skin is clean.
9. The anti-allergic property of aloe vera is useful in the treatment of various skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis, itchy skin and so on. They are helpful in curing blisters, insect bites and other allergic reactions as well. Aloe Vera face packs are a boon for people who have a sensitive skin type.
10. Drinking aloe vera juice supplies body with essential nutrients which help to produce and maintain healthy skin. It promotes the removal of dead cells and replenishes it with new ones, giving the skin a radiant glow.
11. Aloe vera’s anti-inflammatory property helps to reduce acne greatly. It does not completely cure the acne; however, it reduces inflammation and redness of the skin to a great extent. It also prevents the outburst of acne and pimples. Its juice or gel can be applied directly on the skin to cure acne. Aloe vera face pack can be prepared by boiling aloe vera leaves in water. Make a paste and add a few drops of honey. Apply it on the face. Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse off with tap water.
12. Aloe vera gel contains two hormones; Axim and Gibberellins which provide wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera with its powerful healing capability helps to treat sun burn at the epithelial level of the skin. It acts as a protective shield for the skin and heals the skin quickly. It can also be used as an after shave treatment for its healing properties can treat small cuts caused by shaving. Aloe vera also helps to reduce stretch marks by healing the wounds.
13. Aloe vera contains a plethora of anti-oxidants like beta carotene, vitamins C and E that improve the natural firmness of skin. It keeps the skin hydrated. It improves the skin elasticity, therefore minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Thus it refreshes the skin and makes it vibrant and young looking. So for a young and healthy skin, start using aloe vera gel today.
14. Smooth and glowing skin can be achieved easily by rubbing aloe vera gel on the face. Aloe vera lightens the skin and helps to alleviate sun tanning and hyper pigmentation.
15. Aloe vera gel is extremely beneficial for dry skin. Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer because of the moisture content locked in it. This gel keeps the skin hydrated and increases its elasticity. It also provides oxygen to the skin which strengthens the skin tissue and keeps the skin healthy. Moreover, it moisturizes the skin without making the skin greasy so it is perfect for oily skin. Once applied, it releases natural vitamins and enzymes on the skin to produce a deep moisturizing effect that helps to treat and restore its pH balance.
16. Aloe vera for hair loss treatment can be traced back to the ancient Egyptian times. Aloe vera contains enzymes that promote hair growth. The proteolitic enzymes found in aloe vera help to eradicate dead skin cells on the scalp. Aloe vera’s keratolic action breaks down the sebum and dead scalp cells. Aloe vera’s alkalizing properties balances the pH level of the scalp and hair which results in further hair growth and retains moisture in the scalp.
17. Aloe vera also helps to eliminate itchy scalp and scalp dryness by its anti-pruritic properties. It also alleviates pruritic ailments like psoriasis and eczema of scalp. Aloe vera’s enzymatic properties enable it to destroy excessive dead skin cells of the scalp. It helps to reduce the redness, scaling, itching and inflammation of scalp which directly benefits the hair.
18. Aloe vera is also used in dandruff treatment. The natural enzymes found in aloe vera soothe and moisturize the scalp that helps to eliminate the scalp dryness that causes dandruff. Thus its anti-fungal properties alleviate dandruff problem. It alleviates the dry and itchy feeling that accompanies dandruff and oiliness. Aloe vera brings a refreshing and cooling sensation to the scalp.
19. Aloe vera is a great conditioning agent that restores the hair’s shine and luster, and leaves the hair silky and smooth. The gel like substance found in aloe vera leaves is similar to keratin in chemical composition. This enables it to penetrate easily along the scalp. The scalp absorbs the benefits of aloe vera up to 7 layers deep and provides deep conditioning to the scalp. The amino acids present in aloe vera add strength and luster to the hair. It also enhances the beauty and suppleness of the hair. It control frizzy hair and does not leave behind any greasy build up.
20. The essential nutrients and vitamins found in aloe vera makes it an indispensible material for shampoos and conditioner. These vitamins and minerals aid in restoring hair’s strength and beauty. When combined with oils like coconut and jojoba oil, aloe vera can make a revitalizing shampoo.
21. Aloe vera gel is a perfect rinse for oily hair without making the hair brittle. Mix one part of aloe vera juice with two parts of lemon juice and apply the mixture to the shaft of hair. The acid from lemon strips away excess oil without any adverse effect of chemicals and aloe vera juice prevents dryness of the hair.
22. Aloe vera gel also repairs dry and damaged hair in a short span of time. Aloe vera contains a good amount of protein which is necessary for maintaining the good health of the hair. By going through the hair shaft, aloe gel cures each strand restoring the natural beauty of the hair. In addition, it reinforces the outer layer of the hair which gives you a more manageable crown of glory. It softens, fortifies and rejuvenates the skin by flushing out the dirt, particles and bacteria from the scalp.
23. Alopecia or male pattern baldness is a common hair problem faced by men. This is a kind of hair loss that occurs at a particular part of the head or leads to full hair loss. This scalp condition can be reduced by regular usage of aloe vera. This is mainly because it rejuvenates the hair follicles and helps to reduce hair fall.
These are the multiple aloe vera uses. Get hold of an aloe vera plant today! And don’t forget to leave you feedback in the comments below.
Aside from what juicer do you recommend, the all time favorite question from almost all new juicers is...which is better for my health-juicing or blending? Compare and decide for yourself. After all, your health is your personal choice.
This removes all fiber from vegetables and gives you a direct source of chlorophyll-rich water that doesn’t require digestion.
Juicing your vegetables is the best way to hydrate the body and flood it with enzymes, minerals, vitamins, and potent phytonutrients. It's like getting a transfusion of everything good your body can use to generate new healthy cells, and the effects are quite rapid!
By juice fasting, you give your body a physiological rest from digesting food. This allows the body to go into "housecleaning" mode, called autolysis, which is the digestion of damaged, aged cells. Autolysis typically begins on the third day of your juice fast. It’s a total reset!
When you remove the fiber from your produce and drink the plant juices, you allow your body to expel masses of waste on a cellular level. And since you have less obstruction on a cellular level, your body becomes more capable of absorbing the nutrients from food, therefore requiring less food to nourish you.
Juicing is simple. It requires a juicer and 1 to 2 pounds of your favorite green vegetables. To watch a short video on juicing, clickhere.
This technique, on the other hand, allows you to make delicious smoothies. And one of the biggest advantages of this is that they can be super-packed meals that don’t require much energy to digest because the mastication is already done for you.
However, I still recommend you chew your smoothies thoroughly because when you puree a food, you're skipping the pre-digestion step of chewing that allows the enzymes from saliva to be released. Over time, this can tax the body of energy because it requires the pancreas to release extra enzymes to separate the liquid from the fiber and digest properly.
Blending really is a wonderful tool that allows you to get lots of vegetables in that you'd otherwise not be able to eat in large quantities. Even though it will not put your body in a state of autolysis as explained above, by keeping the insoluble fiber, you'll remove excess toxins from the body quickly and effectively.
Blending requires a blender and a half pound to 1 pound of your favorite green vegetables and fruits.
Both have incredible benefits and can incorporated into your lifestyle on a regular basis depending upon the results you're trying to achieve.
It's that time again, summer travel season! However, even the best planned vacations can have unexpected problems. Check out these natural remedies that no traveler should ever leave home without.
1. Ginger chewsGinger is a powerhouse herb. With its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties you definitely want to have this in your purse or pocket while traveling. Ginger is excellent for nausea, migraines, digestion, aches, pains and congestion.Do you get stuffy on the plane? Me too. Candied ginger is easy to carry and a great way to shake off nausea, motion sickness and indigestion. Ginger People and Chimes make yummy ginger chews that are excellent for travel.2. ProbioticsProbiotics encourage a healthy gut environment, which is essential for your entire immune system. Taking probiotics will help maintain a healthy balance of good bacteria, keep your immunity up and digestive system operating healthily.3. Activated charcoalThis supplement is good for relief from food poisoning, gluten exposure, stomach bugs, gas, bloating and diarrhea. It reduces toxicity by adsorbing chemicals in the GI tract. Be sure to take with plenty of water and stay hydrated.4. Rescue remedyLose your luggage? Flight delayed and missed your meeting? No need to worry. Although this isn’t a magic potion that will solve your problems, it will keep anxiety at bay. Developed by Dr. Edward Bach, this blend of flower essences is sure to keep you chilled out and calm. If focusing on your breath doesn’t work to calm you down, try taking a few drops of Rescue Remedy under the tongue.5. Tiger balm, Arnica and TraumeelExcellent creams for temporary relief of sore muscles, joint aches, pains and bruises. All you have to do is rub it into sore spots as needed then relax.6. Coconut oilRegarded as one of nature’s miracles, coconut oil can be used for so many things there's an entire book written on it. It has antimicrobial, antiviral, antibacterial antioxidant and antifungal benefits—explains why it is considered the miracle oil! Some of my personal favorite uses while traveling are: eye makeup removal, moisturizing (great for sunburns), oil pulling or toothpaste, hair conditioner, apply to cuts and scraps. Also, try eating a tablespoon or put into tea for a good source of fat intake and boost of energy.7. Herbal teasTake your own herbal tea bags for the flight and hotel so you can enjoy a soothing cup whenever you need. It’s an excellent way to get a boost of nourishment with teas like ginger, peppermint, echinacea and chamomile.8. MagnesiumMagnesium serves many functions in the body and yet it is estimated that 80% of Americans are deficient in this very important mineral. It’s a useful addition to your travel kit for aiding in a good night’s rest, proper bowel function and relaxing the nervous system.
.mindbodyg reen.com/0 -9520/8-na tural-reme dies-every -traveler- should-car ry.html
Annette has found the fountain of youth and vitality.
It’s hard to believe it, but Annette Larkins is actually 71 years old. She claims she has had no plastic surgery (you can tell – you don’t get that glow from having lots of work done), even though she is not opposed to it, so I guess when she turns 100 she will finally look 70!
Annette, who lives in Florida, has been eating completely raw for 27 years and attributes her youthfulness to this lifestyle. She grows all her own food in her garden, which she calls her “fountain of youth,” and she doesn’t consume any animal products. Nuts, sprouts, fruits, vegetables, and seeds: that’s it! Everything is as natural as can be; she even collects rainwater to water her plants. Up by 5:30 every morning, Annette doesn’t get sick; she doesn’t ever even consume so as much as an aspirin. And she even has two sons who are in their fifties! Whatever she has been doing, it’s working; her husband does not eat this way and he looks his age (and now he regrets not converting along with her decades ago).
Start somewhere. You don't have to go all raw overnight, but begin juicing, taking walks, eating more fruits and vegetables. Baby steps can make all of the difference. Excellence is a habit.
Hear her story: